While it may not feel like flu season just yet, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is already urging people to get their flu shots.
Tennessee residents can do their part by getting their flu shot early and practicing flu prevention strategies all season long to help us keep our state healthy! Our team at AFC Urgent Care TN has some suggestions.
Health Tips for Flu Season in Tennessee
1. Make sure your family members get their flu shots. Getting your flu shot is the most effective way to keep yourself healthy during flu season, and having your entire household get it can significantly reduce your rate of exposure. The flu shot can also reduce the severity of flu symptoms if you do get sick, meaning you can spend more time enjoying your winter and less time recovering.
2. Keep your immune system in good shape. Reducing stress, getting seven to nine hours of sleep every night and eating a balanced diet are all proven ways to keep your immune system functioning at an optimal level—meaning if you do come into contact with the flu virus, your body will be more prepared to fight it off.
3. Utilize flu prevention tactics. In addition to getting your flu shot, preventing the spread of germs is a great way to reduce your exposure to the flu virus. Getting into the habit of regular handwashing, avoiding touching your nose and mouth, and disinfecting commonly contacted surfaces will all reduce flu-spreading germs.
4. Seek medical care if you have flu symptoms. If you begin to experience symptoms that point to the flu, seeing your doctor right away is the best thing to do. These symptoms can include:
- Nausea, chills and headaches
- Body aches and fatigue
- A fever above 100° Fahrenheit
- Sore throat, coughing and sinus congestion
Because of antiviral medication that is now on the market, if your doctor is able to treat you quickly once your symptoms set in, taking the medicine as described can significantly reduce the amount of time you are sick and the severity of your symptoms during the duration of your illness.
Tennessee, are you ready to get your flu shot? Find an AFC Urgent Care TN location near you today to make sure you’re protected.