Did you know more than 3 million respiratory infections are diagnosed each year? But while the condition is extremely common, that doesn’t mean it’s any more bearable when you’re the one who’s sick!
That’s why our AFC Urgent Care TN team wants to make sure you know where to turn if you begin experiencing the symptoms of a respiratory infection.
What Is a Respiratory Infection?
A respiratory infection occurs when a viral infection starts to affect the nose, throat and airways. While the condition usually lasts between three and 14 days, it can last longer if your respiratory infection turns into pneumonia.
The condition can cause a variety of symptoms, ranging from just unpleasant to severe.
Symptoms of a Respiratory Infection
- Body aches
- Congestion, either in the nasal sinuses or lungs
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
How Do You Diagnose a Respiratory Infection?
There are many different ways a respiratory infection can be diagnosed, including throat swabs and X-rays. Fortunately, our urgent care centers have a state-of-the-art lab available seven days a week for the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory infections.
A doctor can prescribe medications to help heal the body and get you back to feeling your best, and there are also things you can try at home.
At-home Treatment of Respiratory Infections
- Drink warm beverages, such as hot tea, to soothe the throat.
- Make steam in the shower or sink to breathe in.
- Try a Neti Pot or saline spray to clear your sinuses.
- Take OTC meds like pain relievers or cough medications.
- Try throat lozenges to ease a sore throat.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
Are you looking for somewhere to turn to for help with your respiratory infection? Visit one of our AFC Urgent Care TN locations today to find relief.