The short answer is that getting the flu shot is important every year! It’s your best defense against getting the flu, which can be pesky and even downright dangerous.
But it’s especially important this year, so read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care TN takes a few minutes to break down why.
Why Do I Need a Flu Shot This Year?
If you’ve turned on the news lately or read through a newspaper, you may have seen an article encouraging people to be vaccinated against the flu this year. There’s a reason for that.
While you should get the flu shot every year, this year’s flu season presents a unique situation. The season, which begins in November and lasts until March or April, will overlap with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. That means there’s the potential for two potent viruses—and for an increased number of medical visits and hospitalizations.
Who Needs the Flu Shot Most
- Older adults
- Anyone with a compromised immune system
- Pregnant women
How Can I Avoid Getting the Flu?
The good news is: Many of the things we’ve been doing these last few months to limit the spread of COVID-19 will also help lower your risk of getting the flu.
But your best defense is still to get a flu shot. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that nearly everyone over age 6 months be vaccinated by the end of October.
Other Ways to Prevent the Flu
- Wear a mask as recommended to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which can also limit the risk of the flu.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time.
- If you don’t have soap and water on hand, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Try to avoid anyone who may be sick.
AFC Urgent Care TN is your one-stop-shop for your flu vaccination needs! Stop by one of our locations or schedule an appointment at your convenience.